Friday, April 26, 2013

Halibut Ceviche


I haven't made ceviche in ages. I know this because Oliver keeps reminding me. So today we're having the family over for dinner, and it just happens to be Friday. Some family members (you know who you are) don't eat meat today, others only eat meat. I'm used to making multiple meals, so I'm including ceviche on the menu. It should pair well with the chicken schnitzel that Oliver's going to make.

Ceviche isn't really raw fish, but it isn't exactly cooked either. The lime juice causes a reaction that changes the protein so that it has similar properties to being cooked. But you should still always use fish that is safe to be eaten raw. For some people it doesn't make a difference. We tell my dad it is cooked fish, but he's not about to taste it. Oh well.

It is so easy to make ceviche. Just make sure the halibut you use (or whatever fish) can be eaten raw. I got mine at the fish market down the road. He let me taste a sliver of raw halibut.  It was a little slice of heaven. I was tempted to scrap the ceviche idea and have sushi instead, but then I'd never hear the end of it from Oliver. So here goes...


Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds halibut (or other white fish)
juice of  6 limes
cilantro
2 tomatoes
1/2 onion
jalapeno pepper (optional)
capers (optional, I put them on the side)
orange slices (I use clementines, easier to peel)
red onion
red leaf lettuce

With a very sharp knife, cut the fish into 1 inch cubes. Throw them into a non reactive bowl (glass or ceramic is good).

Seed and dice tomatoes. Throw them over the halibut.

Dice the onion. Throw that in too.

If you are using the jalapeno pepper, finely dice it and remove the seeds. I usually use about half the jalapeno. Throw that in the bowl.

Take a bunch of cilantro and chop it. If I'm in a rush, I use my scissors. Quick and easy. You know what to do with it.

Throw in a few teaspoons of capers if you're using those. Oliver doesn't like capers. Ella can't get enough of them. So I put them in a little bowl on the side. Works for everyone.

Using a citrus juicer, squeeze out as much of that lime juice as you can. Pour the lime juice into the bowl and give it a good mix.


Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours and up to overnight. You can mix it once or twice during that time if you want.

When you're ready to serve, use a slotted spoon and spoon it onto a platter covered with red leaf lettuce. Garnish with orange slices (or clementines) and red onion slices. It looks gorgeous with all the colors and textures and tastes fresh and delicious.




No comments:

Post a Comment